Jon and I are really excited about how the jungle quilt turned out! We love the faces and there are more great patterns in the book we used (Quilts, Bibs, Blankies...Oh My!) Thank you so much for all of your input on my last post. After much back and forth, we agreed with most of you about the orange binding, but Jon wanted to go with a green thread after we decided to quilt with a leaf pattern (This blog has been inspiring me to quilt different designs).
If I had to pick again, I think I would've gone with a blue or orange thread. The green worked well with the motif, but does clash a little bit with the lighter blue and the pink.
The backing is Alexander Henry's 2D Zoo which is such a great print! The final size is 36"x36" which is the same size as the quilt I made for Little B. It's a little on the small side, but with how much use Little B's parents have been getting from theirs, I think it works!
Jon and I are going to meet Zoe this week when we head down to Philly for Thanksgiving and I can't wait! Her parents don't know we've been working on this and I'm not sure they are even aware that I sew as much as I do.
As I mentioned, we decided to go with a meandering leaf design for the quilting. I also quilted around the outer edges of the animals in the same colors I did the satin stitch applique. After a bunch of doodling, I figured out a fairly straight forward way to do the leaves. I'm still really new to free motion quilting but I didn't find the leaves much harder than a stippling. Since it's hard to see on the quilt, here's what the practice swatch looked like:
Since it took me a little while of doodling to figure out how to make this shape, I figured I'd share how I did it.
As a side note, I did want to mention that I heard concerns about using invisible thread for a baby quilt. Since the nylon thread doesn't break like natural fibers, it could get caught around a small finger. I tried getting more information about this but I couldn't find a good source, but it is something to keep in mind when picking threads.