Sunday, June 13, 2010

Retracing my steps

This month is the last month for Snip.Sew.Send. and Anne (from Film & Thread) asked for blocks of maps or inspired by maps. She sent this fabric to guide the color palette.

Anne's inspiration fabric


I thought it'd be fun for this one to retrace my steps around the country. I grew up in Minnesota and if you follow the arrows around, you can see that I moved to California for college and during college spent time living in New York City and then outside Philadelphia. After returning to California, I moved back to Minnesota and then to upstate New York where I am now.

Snip.Sew.Send block for Anne

Snip.Sew.Send block for Anne


It's kind of crazy to see where I've lived on a map like this. I hope Anne likes how it came together.

Snip.Sew.Send block for Anne


To share a little of the process, here's the map I printed out in order to trace the states and figure out the arrow paths. I machine appliqued the states and then I embroidered the blue outline and the all of the arrows.
Map block process

6 comments:

  1. this looks like so much fun...i love these

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this! If I were to do this I would only have one state and no lines, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't even know where to start because I love this SO much!. I really love how you cut the states out of fabric and then embroidered the paths. Thank you for taking the time to do this in the midst of a busy summer and exciting wedding plans!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you and I like to send responses to comments so make sure to leave a way for me to do that!