Wednesday, October 24, 2012

More art kits!

My best friend is getting married this Saturday and I made the little kids attending her wedding (including the flower girls) traveling art kits like I did for my wedding. There are 4 girls and 1 boy all between the ages of about 3 and 7, so these will hopefully make them feel special and give them something quiet to do during cocktails and dinner.

Traveling Art Kits

Each kit has an 8-pack of crayons, 5 markers, a Dover Little Activity/Sticker book, a 4x6 pad of paper and a couple loose sheets of stickers, so the total cost for each kit was about $8 (I bought a number of items in "bulk" on Amazon). Like last time, I used the Traveling Art Show free pattern from Bread and Buttons (found here) and made the following modifications:

I used velcro instead of ties so that little kiddos could open and close them by themselves.
  • To make the velcro strap, I cut a strip of fabric 2 1/4" x about 5-6", folded it in half lengthwise (like a hotdog, not a hamburger), sewed right sides together, leaving one short end open to flip it right- sides-out. Then I sewed on the velcro to the strip. 
  • When I attached the strap to the main part of the kit, I made sure to attach it in the middle, but lower than the top edge of the inside pocket (this allows the exterior velcro stitching to be hidden by the pocket).
  • To get the velcro on the pocket part of the kit in the right place, I put the supplies into the kit before I sewed the pocket divisions and placed the second piece of velcro so that the kit would close securely.
I also altered the size of the pockets so that they fit the supplies that I wanted to include.
  • If you want to make the pockets as shown here, the measurements from left to right:
    4.5" - 4.75" - 1" - 1" - 1" - 1" - 1" - whatever was left.
I feel like those instructions are kind of confusing without pictures, so if you'd like to see me put together a tutorial on these modifications, let me know and I'll take some pictures and post one soon.

Traveling Art Kits

Traveling Art Kits

Traveling Art Kits

5 comments:

  1. Cute! I need to make these for my kids. Thanks for the links! Yours turned out so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous! I bet they were a hit, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love these! Might have to make a few for Christmas! I'd love a tutorial of your modifications if you felt up to it : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute! I've been looking for some ideas for a traveling art kit for my little travelling artist:)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you and I like to send responses to comments so make sure to leave a way for me to do that!