Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Photography-along Lesson 1

I decided to join Petit Debutant's Photography-along. You should give it a go too! It's fun!

Before I explain what I've been up to, I figure I'll give a little background: I've been frustrated with my little point and shoot recently since I really would like a camera that can handle low light conditions, more outdoor conditions and pick up colors in my projects a little better. I've been thinking about getting a DSLR camera this Christmas but when I saw Norma's photography-along, I thought that might be an even better place to start. You know, improve the photography, learn to really use my camera and then figure out if a new camera is really the right answer?

We're using the lessons on MorgueFile and Lesson 1 was about composition. There were 2 assignments, but I only got a chance to do assignment 1 so far. For this assignment, we were supposed to focus on composition and take abstract photos. I think you can still recognize my subjects, but I tried!

Here's a few of my favs from the many I took (the lesson encourages lots of photos and it really makes a difference!). I put a few more on flickr. Click any of the pics to go there.

Photography-along: composition assignment



Photography-along: composition assignment



Photography-along: composition assignment



Photography-along: composition assignment



Photography-along: composition assignment


Feel free to leave comments, I'd love to know what your thoughts are!

Edited to add: I'm using a Canon Power Shot SD630 for this. I love how small it is and originally got it because of how big the screen on the back is.

2 comments:

  1. Nice photos! I also would love to have a DSLR, but am trying to learn to get the most out of my little point-and-shoot for now. The 365 project has really helped my photo-taking abilities, and some of the spin-off projects created by my fellow knitterly-and-crafty-types, like Macro May, have been great as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant to ask you what kind of camera you have

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you and I like to send responses to comments so make sure to leave a way for me to do that!